Monday, March 02, 2015

Chicago Deep Dish and Texas

I have finally found out about Chicago Deep Dish pizza the other night when I ordered from Gino's East, 25657 I-45, The Woodlands TX, next to IHOP and Harley Davidson of The Woodlands.

The actual eating of the pie was really good, but what I experienced after ordering for pick-up was not at all fun.  

Now, remember, this is NOT the kind of pizza we usually order for take-out.  No, this is something that has to be planned at LEAST an hour in advance.
Not that that hour did me any good.

When I arrived, my order was wrong.
I had ordered a "Meaty" pie and instead, there was a Supreme waiting for me.  After informing the Matron of the mistake, I was forced to wait another hour on a relatively comfortable bench until my slab of Deep Dish arrived.  The Manager, Nadia Shike, was accomodating and quelled the angry customer in me.

My wait was not without its reward ... I was comped for the mistake, so I will let the eternity that passed during my remake go by the wayside.

Getting the pie, I made note of the very real heft it had.  I mean, this pie was in a weight class all on its own.

This was no ordinary deep dish pizza that I thought of when I think of a deep dish pizza.

This was a massive disk of dough, four kinds of meats, cheese and a sauce that is unlike anything currently being served anywhere in The Woodlands Texas.

If Texans had invented deep dish pizza, I feel that this would be what it would be ... Big, heavy and meaty.

The only concrete thing I brought out of my bivouac inside of Gino's is that pizza as we currently know it is NOT a dining experience ... We have call and carry.  

Gino's East Chicago Style Deep Dish pizza is what going to a pizza place during the 70's used to be ... A sit down place to enjoy the smells emminating from the kitchen and the kind of place that the art of conversation can be practiced with your significant other or a group of friends.  It is a place where the kids are encouraged to scribble on the walls with a sharpie.

I will be returning there for another pie, but this next time, I'll have a seat in the booth and practice my waxing rhapsodic with my family.
Ciao,
Darrell

No comments: