Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Rib Suckin' Lip Smackin' BBQ Goodness

Oh My, have I found an Oasis of slow cooked succulence ... Corkscrew BBQ just off of Budde Road across from the Goodwill drop-off parking lot.

I had been hearing about this joint for over six months from my Mother-in-law.
"This is some of the best BBQ I have ever had!" - six months ago.
"It's tender and some of the best I have had in a long time.  I just love it!" - three months ago.

Well, this last Friday, I had the afternoon off and was in the vicnity of Corkscrew, so I made an impromptu visit to this house of smoke and bones.

It was hot and the line was several diners deep and getting deeper as I stood there.  Just those two signs told me that this should be worth of the wait.

When I made it to the counter, I ordered the two meat lunch ... Turkey and Ribs, two sides of "why don't cha surprise me" with a glass of unsweet tea.

I sat on the wooden picnic table with another felllow that was slightly heavier that I am.  The bench sagged under our weight and a conversation was struck up with the possibility of us breaking it before we get a chance to eat. With that revelation, I got to break the proverbial ice.

I introduced myself, only to find out that I had come across my other brother Darrell.  As usual, we both got a chuckle from it.  I asked him a few questions ...
How did he hear about this place ... his cousin
Had he ever eaten here before ... nope, first time for him as well
Do ya live nearby ...  across the freeway

OK, he was a local, like me.

His lunch was called first and a few seconds later, I got the call to pick up my grub.

I asked for some relishes to accompany my BBQ and I was greeted with a handfull of pickles and another handful of raw, sliced jalapenos.  Hmmm ... makes one wonder if there is something to hide under the heat of the crispy green pepper slice.

I dug in with the ribs and was met with a seasoned piece of tender, flavorful beef that was cooked just enough to not fall off of the bone, but slide off at the slightest pull.  The flavor of the smoke penetrated the rib without overpowering it.  Even a slice of that raw jalapeno added to the flavor of the beef.  I had a little issue with the rivulet of beef fat oozing down my chin, but that's why we have paper towels.

So far, I was enjoying this meal.

I got to the turkey that was hiding under the ribs and found that it was also flavorful and well seasoned.  It paired well with my mac-and-cheese and my cabbage slaw that found their way on my plate as the "surprise me" sides.

The dining area is no frills ... this place is all business when it comes to the meal.  Expect a very spartan setting.  Plastic chairs, folding chairs and wooden picnic tables ... all under a metal awning sandwiched between the pit building and the trailer.

While I savored my meal, the parade under the awning held professionals to stay at home moms with their toddlers cavorting around picking up pea gravel while we ate.  It was a nice atmosphere to enjoy some very good BBQ and go people watching.

I plan on going back this week or next to try the pulled pork or the brisket.  I wonder if I can bring my own beer.

Ciao!
Darrell

UPDATE:
Turns out I can bring my own Beer ... or wine for that matter.
Go to www.corkscrewbbq.com for a menu and fun facts about this eaterie.
D

No comments: