Monday, October 14, 2013

Chuy's Finally Disappointed Me

I have finally been disappointed by Chuy's in The Woodlands.

Saturday, a staple of Tex-Mex for our household fell shorter than the Texans did against the Rams on Sunday.

Chuy's is one of those restaurants that gets me in the door with one signature dish.

For me, that signature dish is the Southwestern Chicken Enchilada ... with two eggs.

I have eaten this dish at every one of their Houston area sites and I have never been disappointed with the quality of the dish ... until now.

It was Saturday afternoon and we arrived with the whole of my spouses family in tow for a one hour wait ... which is normal for a weekend visit at that time of the day.

After we sat and plowed our way through chips and salsa, queso and their wonderful creamy jalapeno sauce, our order came.

After the dishes were passed out, I began to tuck into what is usually a feast for the eyes, tongue and nose.

My eggs were there on display just begging me to smear the creamy yellow yolks all over the top of the enchilada ... only, there was not so much yolk to smear around.  They were just a touch overdone and the yolks had begun to congeal.

I lifted my fork and plunged it into the mass of blue corn tortillas, chicken cheese and green sauce that lie under my overdone eggs.

I cropped a wedge from the circular presentation and began to chew.

The tortillas were rubbery.

The chicken was a bit on the dry side ... what chicken I could find hiding under the blue rounds of maize.

The cheese and sauce that were usually in abundance were MIA as well.

I looked over at my wife and we both shared the same expression of disappointment with our meal ... she ordered the same as I, but one egg atop the pile.

She and I have been coming to Chuy's for almost two decades together.  We would make the drive down to the one on Westheimer, inside the loop, at least every month during our first few years together.  Since the Woodlands store opened, that has been our home site when we want Tex-Mex.

I still go to the ones on Westheimer, inside the loop and the one near the beltway ...

I have talked up Chuy's to friends and visitors to Houston indicating that I have never had a bad meal there.

Now I have to admit to my first mediocre meal and find it in myself to give the Woodlands store another chance.

I will have to do just that because my wife still enjoys their Green Enchiladas a lot.

Perhaps another dish needs to be ordered the next time ... maybe something with Elvis in the name.

Ciao!
Darrell

No comments: